As we grow older, our bodies undergo a wide range of changes. The excessive wear and tear of the spinal discs can lead to joint inflammation, nerve impingement, and other conditions that cause considerable pain. Dr. Behnam Salari, the leading board-certified orthopedic surgeon in New Jersey, carefully examines the root cause of your symptoms to curate personalized treatment options.
Potential Causes of Degenerative Disc Disease
- Aging: As you grow older, the intervertebral discs gradually dry out and become stiff, reducing their ability to absorb shock. The loss of height also reduces the intervertebral spaces, leading to considerable pain and discomfort.
- Injuries: Repetitive stress or sudden injuries can damage the intervertebral discs. If the disc is ruptured, the fluid may leak out and compress the surrounding nerves. The problem can be worsened if there are bone spurs around the nerve roots.
Symptoms of Degenerative Disc Disease:
- Dull to severe backaches
- Incapacitating back pain
- Pain may occur along any part of the spine
- Some patients experience pain relief after lying down
- Numbness and tingling sensations on the arms or legs
- General weakness and fatigue on different parts of the body
Contact Dr. Salari for Degenerative Disc Disease Treatment
Dr. Behnam Salari is a highly-skilled, nationally-recognized spine surgeon specializing in the diagnosis and treatment of spine-related conditions, including degenerative disc disease. He conducts a thorough investigation to identify and treat the root cause of your problems, ensuring long-lasting and safe results. He prefers non-surgical solutions, such as physical therapy and medications, and only resorts to surgical techniques when absolutely necessary.
If you have the signs and symptoms of degenerative disc disease, please schedule a consultation with Dr. Salari at our offices in Morristown, Hackettstown, Sparta, or Randolph in New Jersey.